FRACS PhD FAOrthA
Shoulder and Upper Limb Specialist
Clinical Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery UWA
I qualified as an Orthopaedic Surgeon in 1992. Following further clinical and research Fellowship training in Adelaide and USA, I commenced practice as a Consultant Orthopaedic surgeon in 1995, and completed a PhD in 1998. Currently I am appointed Clinical Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery in the Faculty of Medicine and Adjunct Professor in the School of Sport Science Exercise and Health, University of Western Australia.
My private practice is devoted to Shoulder Elbow and Hand surgery.
My special interests are:
- Arthroscopic shoulder decompression for work or sports injuries
- Arthroscopic and open reconstruction for shoulder rotator cuff tendon tears
- Arthroscopic and latajet reconstruction of shoulder joint dislocation
- Total Shoulder joint replacement (Anatomic and Reverse designs)
- Tennis elbow and arthroscopic elbow surgery
- Endoscopic carpal tunnel release
- Arthroscopic and arthroplasty surgery of the hand and wrist
I am current President of the Shoulder Elbow Society of Australia and an active member of the Australian Hand Surgery Society and Australian Orthopaedic Association (AOA). My professional activities have included service as Scientific Secretary to the Australian Orthopaedic Association (2011-2015) and past Chairman of Continuing Orthopaedic Education for the Australian Orthopaedic Association (2007-2010).
My current research interests include biological therapies to enhance soft tissue healing after surgery. These treatments include platelet rich plasma, and autologous tendon cell therapy and tissue grafts. A further research program evaluates function and sports capacity after Total Shoulder Arthroplasty. Research work has been presented at National and International meetings and published in peer reviewed journals.